Monday, October 11, 2010

Football: More home gloom for Stowupland

October 9, 2010 – Stowupland Falcons 1 Wickham Market 9
The misery goes on for Stowupland as they slipped to their 23rd consecutive Suffolk & Ipswich League defeat and stretched their losing home run to 18 months.
But, despite trailing 3-0 at half-time, it could have been so much different. 
The Falcons pulled a goal back within a minute of the second half starting when substitute Dean Gridley latched onto a mistake by the visiting defence.
A minute later home captain Blake Richards sent a weak shot straight at the goalkeeper when it looked easier to score and, with Wickham Market clearly rattled from that early onslaught, Josh Birkes beat the offside trap but was unable to get his shot on target.
And the hosts were made to pay dearly by the Division One leaders who stepped up a gear to romp clear.
Michael Crawfoot, Jay Churchyard and Karl Goodwin had notched the first half strikes, despite a string of fine saves by home keeper Merrill Clarke who had to withstand an early blitz from Wickham Market as they forced seven corners in the opening four minutes.
The Falcons' only efforts of note in the first half saw Jamie Ralph hit a post after a poor clearance by Wickham goalkeeper Paul King and then head over when well placed.
But, after withstanding that early second-half revival by the hosts, Wickham turned up the heat with Churchyard completing a hat-trick to add to strikes from Aaron Pettitt (2), Sam Taylor and Luke Phillips with Goodwin also hitting  the bar.
Stowupland Falcons: Clarke, Birkes, Mower, Watling, Taylor, Double, Lee (O'Raw 46), Richards, Talbot (Gridley 31), Godbold, Ralph.
Scorer: Gridley 46.
Wickham Market: King, Baker (Johnson), Reeve (Williams), Phillips, Brown (Potter), Harvey, Goodwin, Crawfoot, Pettitt, Churchyard, Taylor.
Scorers: Crawfoot 11; Churchyard (3) 17, 54, 84; Goodwin 22; Pettitt (2) 64, 74; Taylor 67; Phillips 89.
  • View a slideshow of action from this match here.

No comments:

Post a Comment