Saturday, February 26, 2011

Football: Luck still against Haughley

Haughley United 1 Ipswich Athletic 2
A change of manager has not brought a change of luck for SIL Senior Division bottom side Haughley.
Phil Fairbrother took charge for the first time this afternoon and got first-hand experience of what has been troubling Haughley for much of the season - a severe case of bad luck.
After weathering an early storm, Haughley more than matched their high-flying opponents and the only difference was that loose balls fell kindly for Athletic and bounced awkwardly for the hosts.
Haughley should have scored inside the first minute. Nathan Smith's shot was well saved by Carl Taber and the ball fell to Aaron Robinson ten yards out with the goal at his mercy but it bobbled as he hit it and flew high and wide.
Spurred on by that let off, Athletic laid siege to the home goal for ten minutes and only solid defending kept them out with Stowmarket Town striker Dean Tournay-Godfrey coming closest, curling a 30-yard effort narrowly wide of Arron Mayhew's goal.
New Haughley signing Tony Mayhew was tripped as he ran clear on goal after 25 minutes, while at the other Tournay-Godfrey went close with an acrobatic effort as the game evened out.
Smith burst past three challenges to create an opening for three waiting teammates after 34 minutes but Taber did well to block his cross.
Just as it looked as if the teams would go in at half-time deadlocked, the visitors took the lead. Tournay-Godfrey's deep cross was punched away by Mayhew, under pressure from two attackers but the loose ball fell kindly for Sam Bartholomew to send a looping effort past the despairing lunges of two defenders on the line.
Taber closed down Smith well a minute into the second half when an equaliser beckoned and Mark Theobald beat the keeper after 50 minutes but his shot was narrowly wide.
Rob Firman then sent a long-range effort narrowly wide with Taber scrambling.
But it was Ipswich who found the net again. Alan Ford's corner looked to be going straight out of play but James Nickless sliced the ball high into the air and into his own net off the far post in bizarre fashion.
Tournay-Godfrey went close with three long-distance shots, while Robinson set up Theobald at the other end with a glancing shot just wide as the steady drizzle changed to a bitterly-cold downpour.
A fine move between Tournay-Godfrey, Aaron Wintrup and Caleb Ebanks saw the tall No 9 clean through but home captain Ally Mayhew was equal to the task, blocking superbly at the foot of a post.
Substitute Jason Woods teed up a goal for Haughley in the last minute but his pass across the face of goal just evaded the lunges of Smith and Robinson.
Reward finally came in the final minute of stoppage time when Woods forced the ball in from close range but it was too late to make a difference.
Haughley United: Arron Mayhew, Nickless (Lewis 84), T Mayhew, Ally Mayhew, Taplin, Firman, Hawes (McLuckie 30), Robinson, Smith, Theobald, Garnham (Woods 54). Substitutes (not used): Nibloe, Castle.
Booking: Firman (foul, 40).
Goal: Woods 90+3.
Ipswich Athletic: Taber, Loparvlo, Bartholomew (Selby 86), Wintrup, Marjoram, Mills, Jackson, Flurry, Ebanks, Tournay-Godfrey, Ford. Substitute (not used): Rowell.
Bookings: Bartholomew (foul, 22), Loparvlo (foul, 23), Tournay-Godfrey (foul, 56).
Goals: Bartholomew 45, Nickless (og) 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment